Worship has been and will always be at the heart of deep-rooted discipleship. The Certification in Worship Leadership addresses the Biblical, theological, and practical elements of leading the assembly’s worship. It seeks to inform, enliven and create transformational worship allowing the character of current worship to be roots and wings engaged with the past and welcoming the inbreaking of the future. Designed for clergy and laity alike, learners will be equipped to be meaningfully engaged in worship design in their local congregations or other ministry settings.
Develop tools to make a big impact in your worship and gain a network of other Christian worship leaders from around the country!
The IFD Certification in Worship Leadership requires just three 6-week courses of $125 each and one 12-week practicum that costs $200 — a total of $575.
- Certification courses must be completed in order. Courses will be taught on a yearly rotation.
- Once you begin, you can complete all the courses you need for certification in just one year!
- First courses in the certification cycles are offered in either January or August, with some certifications relaunching at both times.
- This program is taught online via Blackboard Learn. Courses are mostly asynchronous, meaning you can complete the work at the time most convenient for your schedule. Daily engagement on the Discussion Board with peers, required reading, and assignments ensure a quality learning experience. Some courses offer a required or optional live video-based session – see individual course descriptions for more details.
2024 Course Dates:
January 15 – February 23, 2024
March 11 – April 26, 2024
(No class during Holy Week, 3/25 – 3/31)
June 3 – July 19, 2024
(No class July 1-7)
August 19 – November 8, 2024
Certification Course List
- IFDC710 – Biblical Foundations of Worship
- IFDC720 – Patterned by Grace: How Liturgical Theologies Shape the Church
- IFDC730 – Serving the Church’s Worship
- IFDC750 – Practicum in Worship Leadership
Enroll in the first course!
If the first course is full, or is not currently enrolling, you will be able to sign up for course opening notifications.
Meet the Instructors
Jeffery Seeley recently retired as the associate professor of church music at the Mercer University Townsend School of Music and as the director of music at Vineville United Methodist Church in Macon, Georgia. He holds degrees in music and theology from Lycoming College, Drew University, and Mansfield University, and a D.Min. degree from Emory University. An ordained deacon in the United Methodist Church, Jeff has held positions as pastor, professor, and church musician for almost 50 years. He has a heart for strengthening pastor and church musician relationships and training for the sake of the assembly’s worship.
Daniel Benedict, an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church, is invested in worship planning and leadership as a scholar, writer, practitioner, and teacher for more than 50 years. He has taught hundreds of LSM learners since 2006. He served 12 years as director of worship resources for Discipleship Ministries. Daniel’s ongoing work focuses on ordering the life of the congregation around the means of grace, crafting liturgy, and the work of presiding and assisting in worship. He is the author of “Patterned by Grace: How Liturgy Shapes Us,” a basic resource for laity, and “Come to the Waters,” a pastoral invitation to full blown Christian initiation.